Our first lived show of the new year started with an hour long tribute to the great trumpeter Freddie Hubbard who died in December. We played music recorded under his own name but also tracks showing what a great sideman he was for big names such as Oliver Nelson (love that solo on Stolen Moments!) and Wayne Shorter. Hubbard recorded for Blue Note in the 60s – so don’t forget that you can hear more of his music at our Blue Note live DJ set at Saints in Ipswich on 04 February. There are more details in the news section in this blog.
After all that classic jazz we needed some new sounds – and what better than Christian Prommer’s jazz trio take on a great techno classic? It sounded great and led us into more left field music – nujazz, house and contemporary Japanese sounds.
We hope you like the mix – send us a comment with your thoughts.
1. Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage
2. Eric Dolphy – Gazzeloni
3. Oliver Nelson – Stolen Moments
4. Freddie Hubbard – Povo
5. Freddie Hubbard – Hub-Tones
6. Wayne Shorter – Angola
7. Bobby Hutcherson – Catta
8. Christian Prommer’s Drumlessons – Can You Feel It?
9. Nicola Conte – All Gone
10. Kurt Elling – I Like The Sunrise
11. Soil & “Pimp” Sessions – Red Clay
12. Flora Purim – Open Your Eyes You Can Fly
13. Roberto Roena – Take Five (Nicola Conte remix)
14. Makoto – Freedom Suite
15. George McCrae – I Got Lifted (Mischief Brew re-edit)
16. Quasimode – Giant Black Shadow
17. Donald Byrd – You and the Music