More great jazz tonight on the show kicking off with an amazing Sun Ra track from 1958. This music sounds 30 or more years ahead of its time. No one was making this kind of music then – and they’re still trying to catch up. We mixed this in with a track from the Heliocentrics first CD released in 2007 and a little touch of Brazil from Offworld – a suitable namecheck for DJ Smoothgroove’s great show on ICR – 6 -8 pm every Thursday.
We also played tribute to altoist Hank Crawford who died last week, wigged out with some deep jazz from Coltrane acolyte David S Ware and played some retro Japanese sounds from What’s Up? before ending with a jazz dance combination of Corky McClerkin and Jazzanova. Apologies to all listeners at the end of the show who after a couple of minutes of Mwele, Mwele heard just silence. A CD error was the problem – we’ll not be playing that track again.
1. Offworld – Black Magic Power Ride (Roc Hunter edit)/Sun Ra – Ancient Aethiopia/Heliocentrics – Sirius B
2. Horace Silver – The Jody Grind
3. Hank Crawford – Mr Blues
4. Max Roach – St Louis Blues
5. Hugh Masekela – Part of the Whole
6. Peter King – African Dialect
7. Lee Morgan – Capra Black
8. What’s Up? – Get into Trouble
9. David S Ware – Aquarian Sound
10. Miles Davis – All Blues
11. Don Pullen – Ah George, We Hardly Knew Ya
12. Indigo Jam Unit – Dooinit
13. Stacey Epps – Floatin
14. Corky McClerkin – Searchin’ for the Soul
15. Jazzanova – Mwele, Mwele (Here I Am) (Bugz in the Attic remix)
Next week look out for a tribute to trumpeter and jazz writer Ian Carr, who sadly died on 25 February, along with more classic Blue Note and Black Saint reissues together with the music choices of Stephen Mynott of Milestones Jazz Club.