A solo show from Derek as Neil is away. Despite Derek’s worst fears, the whole show did record for all of our Listen Again addicts [adds Neil!] so simply enjoy the music. This week featured some of the great names of jazz and also some of the more politically conscious including Max Roach, Archie Shepp and Pharoah Sanders – as befits a programme during Black History Month.
There was a first play on Cosmic Jazz for the best track from the new Kira Neris album A Frozen Second. Next week we hope Jacob will have some music from Japan and Neil will have a tracks from the new Portico Quartet release Isla, Keith Jarrett’s new triple live solo CD Testament, the latest and best in the Inspiration Inspiration series (this time featuring Tony Allen and Jimi Tenor) and music from a great Don Cherry reissue.
- Freddie Hubbard & his Orchestra – Gibraltar
- Bill Evans – I Loves You Porgy
- Carmen Lundy – All Day, All Night
- John Coltrane – A Love Supreme (part 1 – Acknowledgement)
- Archie Shepp – Blues for Brother George Jackson
- Max Roach plus Four – Juliano
- Yusef Lateef – Psychicemotus
- Ravi Coltrane – Colneide
- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers – Kyoto
- Barcode Trio – Esjborn
- Indigo Jam Unit – Be
- Kira Neris – Judy in June ( Ce matin la)
- Lonnie Liston Smith – Astral Travellin’
- Pharaoh Sanders – Our Roots Began in Africa