It’s almost the end of the year and time for us to think about the best music we’ve heard in 2009. We’ll reveal our choices in two shows over the festive season – on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve – but we can’t help giving you a further taste of our Best of… suggestions.
So on this week’s upcoming show we’ll feature music from the new Soul Jazz compilation Freedom, Rhythm and Sound: Revolutionary Jazz and more from Gilles Peterson’s Havana Cultura project.
We’ll play tribute to great British bass player Jeff Clyne who died last week and we’ll now include some music in next week’s show from Dave Holland – another bass legend – following his sell out show at London’s South Bank Centre. You can still listen to last week’s show via Listen Again – let us know what you think via the Comments section.
- Oliver Lake/Ntu – Africa
- Quasimode – African Village
- Sadao Watanabe – Musitoni
- Gilles Peterson’s Havana Cultura Band – Ipacuba
- Terence Blanchard/Donald Harrison – Dorchester House
- John Coltrane – Mr. PC
- Kira Neris – Together
- Frank Morgan – Wholey Earth
- Herbie Hancock – A Tribute to Someone
- Alberto Favero – Segundo Movimiento
- The Stan Tracey Quartet – Starless & Bible Black
- Gato Barbieri – Juana Azurduy
This week’s video clip is a live performance of Starless and Bible Black. Stan Tracey and Bobby Wellins were reunited for the Jazz Britannia concerts at the London Barbican in 2005 – and this is the result.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwCoVYXSbo