Lots of interesting music tonight – but we started with an old favourite from Branford Marsalis, featuring a Fela Kuti sample and the vocals of acclaimed author Maya Angelou.
We commemorated the death of of Oscar Peterson’s drummer Ed Thigpen and enjoyed a classic slice of Blue Note magic from Hank Mobley but we also brought jazz up to date with music from Nils Petter Molvaer and Indigo Jam Unit.
- Branford Marsalis – I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Corey Wilkes – Sonata in the Key of Jack Daniels
- Francisco Mora Catlett – Baba (Yoruba traditional pd)
- Oscar Peterson Trio – Moten Swing
- Hank Mobley – Soul Station
- Weather Report – Scarlet Woman
- David Sanchez – Sketches of Dreams
- Henry Lowther – Introduction
- Orlando & Henry Fiol 6/8 Modal Latin Jazz
- Floating Points – Peroration V (feat. Fatima)/Lonnie Liston Smith – Let Us Go into the House of the Lord
- Quasimode – Little B’s Poem (feat. Valerie Etienne)
- Nils Petter Molvaer – Tlon
- Indigo Jam Unit – Arctic Circle
- United Future Organization – Loud Minority (club mix)
As always, the show will be available to Listen Again on the Cosmic Jazz website later this weekend.
Two videoclips this week to make up for their absence over the last few weeks. First up is the Oscar Peterson Trio live in Amsterdam followed by singer Jose James talking about his new album Blackmagic. Enjoy!