It was a special show tonight with our guest, musician and jazz fan Namorik (Roman Wagrodzki) who played an eclectic range of contemporary sounds – from Nils Petter Molvaer to Bugge Wesseltoft and Led Bib to Jimi Tenor. We opened the show with the title track from our featured album, Weather Report’s seminal Mysterious Traveller and we closed with a nod back to our latin special last year.
But the rest of the programme was devoted to the musical choices of alto saxophonist Namorik who inspired us with a selection of tracks. These covered a whole range of contemporary jazz styles from the improvising piano trio of Bartlomiej and Marcin Oles with Kenny Werner to the dance jazz of Bugge Wesseltoft. It’s always exciting when we are introduced to new sounds and we look forward to a return visit from Namorik later in the year.
- Weather Report – Mysterious Traveller
- Oles/Werner/Oles – Good News
- Michal Urbaniak – Urban Express
- Urbanator – Cats
- Yazzbot Mazut – Grube sciezki
- Led Bib – Early Morning
- Jari Perkiomaki – Voc Jazz
- Jimi Tenor – Take the ‘S’ Train
- Bugge Wesseltoft – Lone Live in Paris
- Nils Petter Molvaer – Soft Moon Shine
- Wolfgang Haffner – The Space in Between
- Orlando Cachaito Lopez – Tumbao No. 5
Our featured video clip this week is from Poland’s Tomasz Stanko, recorded in 1976 with Finnish drummer Edward Vesala. Contrast this with Stanko’s current, more lyrical style as featured in recent albums we’ve played on Cosmic Jazz.