This week on Cosmic Jazz we welcomed back Richard Beckton from the Ipswich Jazz Club for another eclectic mix of music and chat. Richard played a wide range of jazz and- as usual – gave us new insights into the stories behind the music. Highlights for me were Dave Liebman and Ritchie Beirach with the band Lookout Farm and Toshiko Akiyoshi whose virtuosic take on the Frank Sinatra ballad It was a very good year was just brilliant.
Neil and Derek will also pay tribute to Charlie Gillett, influential and much loved broadcaster, writer and DJ who died yesterday. Gillett was the author of the seminal Sound of the City, the presenter of the Honky Tonk programme on Radio London between 1972 and 1978 and the man who introduced a world audience to Youssou N’Dour and Salif Keita.
Most recently he presented a weekly music show on Radio London and Charlie Gillett’s World of Music for the BBC World Service. We personally owe Charlie a musical debt for some of our favourite music from Africa and beyond – thanks for all those memories.
- Bobby Bland – St James Infirmary
- Ornette Coleman Quartet – Ramblin’
- Tad Dameron with John Coltrane – Soultrane
- Thelonius Monk – April in Paris
- Sue Richardson – Spotted Cat
- Duke Ellington – The Single Petal of a Rose
- The Trio – Oh, Dear
- Jessica Williams – Heather
- The Tenor Triangle – Tell It Like It Is
- Jackie McLean – Bluesanova
- Dave Liebman and Ritchie Beirach – Mitsuku
- Toshiko Akiyoshi – It was a very good year
- Sue Richardson – Don’t Go to Strangers
- J J Johnson – Stolen Moments