There’s some key new jazz releases that demand a listen – and we’ll be featuring these on upcoming shows. First up is the ambitious new CD from pianist Brad Mehldau who has taken the ideas first presented in his Largo album and upped his game in the double CD Highway Rider. Drumer Manu Katche also has a new album on ECM and there’s a first time CD packaging of trumpet icon Booker Little’s quartet tracks. It’s all here on Cosmic Jazz.
The programme began with our tribute to the late Charlie Gillett – some jazz tracks from his excellent Sound of the City compilations and the theme from his first radio show Honky Tonk.
There was also a tribute to Nujabes the Japanese hip-hop producer who was killed last month. The Final View – the track we played – sampled Yusef Lateef’s Love Theme from Spartacus. And although we promised the Soul Fantastics’s version of Ain’t No Sunshine to end the show, that will have to wait for another week!
- Bill Doggett – Honky Tonk Pt 2
- Charlie Parker – Now’s the Time
- Ella Mae Morse – A Little further down the road apiece
- Billie Holiday – I Cover the Waterfront
- Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker Quartet – Walking Shoes
- Noro Morales – Serenate Ritmica
- Cannonball Adderley – Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
- Miles Davis – Honky Tonk
- Brad Mehldau – Highway Rider
- Nujabes – The Final View
- Booker Little – The Grande Valse
- Sun Ra – Song No.1
- Carlos Garnett – Battle of the Nile
- Bill Frisell – Rambler
- Metheny Meldhau Quartet – Towards the Light
- John Handy – Hard Work
Our video clip this week is the Brad Mehldau Trio playing their stunning version of Radiohead’s Knives Out – a track we featured on the show last week.