Another Derek solo show as Neil is still stranded in China – but now with a return date of 04 May so he should be back for the 06 May show with lots of new music! He’s still got internet access though and passed on the sad news that Steve Reid and Guru from Gang Starr had died. Steve Reid was a hard driving drummer from the USA who knew and played with John Coltrane, but had moved to Lugano in Switzerland when his album Spirit Walk was released on Soul Jazz records in 2005. Guru, through his work with Gang Starr and Jazzmatazz, aimed to fuse hip-hop and jazz and gained respect from major jazz artists, including Branford Marsalis and Donald Byrd, though this respect did not extend to all jazz lovers. Judge for yourself by listening to Jazz Thing.
The musicians from The Tribe were also featured. The Tribe was a 1970s Detroit community-based record label and magazine run by musicians and committed to issues affecting the black community. The musicians included Wendell Harrison, Phil Ranelin and Marcus Belgrave. Universal Sounds has just released an interesting CD Message From The Tribe: an anthology of Tribe Records 1972 – 1976, a compilation of music from the Tribe label. The musicians were reunited in 2009 by the Chicago producer Carl Craig and made the album Rebirth from which Vibes from the Tribe was played.
- McCoy Tyner – Contemplation
- The Jimmy Guiffre Trio – The Train and the River
- Steve Reid Ensemble – Lugano
- Gang Starr – Jazz Thing
- Marcus Belgrave – Space Odyssey
- Tribe – Vibes from the Tribe
- Wendell Harrison – Tons and Tons of B.S.
- The Blue Note 7 – Search for Peace
- Erik Truffaz feat Nya – Bending New Corners
- Yusef Lateef – Chandra
- Beady Belle – Wounded Pride
- Nation of Multiverse – Real and Unreal Space