He’s back! Neil returned from China with lots of new music to play – listen tonight to Paul Motian, Christian Prommer, Ahmad Jamal, Joe Zawinul, Makoto and the wonderful Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz and Percussion Ensemble produced by Madlib.
Meanwhile, Derek featured a track from his exclusive white label copy of the new Barcode Quartet project and played more from Scottish trumpeter Colin Steele.
- Flying Lotus – Intro to a Cosmic Drama
- Christian Prommer’s Drumlesson – High Noon
- Arild Anderson – 305 W 18 St
- The Barcode Quartet – Dug
- Paul Motian Trio – Lost in a Dream
- Ahmad Jamal Trio – We Kiss in the Shadow
- Tribe – Beneficent
- The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz Ensemble – Horace
- Colin Steele – The London Heist
- Makoto and KEZ YM – Chameleon
- Absolute Ensemble feat. Joe Zawinul – Bimoya
- Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet – Blue Mosque
- Arve Henriksen – Migration
- Brad Mehldau – Don’t Be Sad
- Yusef Lateef – Live Humble
- Terje Rypdal – Clint – the Menace
And it’s the return of the Youtube videoclip this week too – and, ambassador, are we spoiling you… To make up for lost time we’re including a couple of videos. First up is Christian Prommer and his take on Derrick May’s techno classic Strings of Life. You can find this on his first album – this version is from a live appearance at London’s Cargo.
Second is some of drummer Steve Reid’s last video footage. Here he is in Senegal in November 2007 recording the Daxaar album with his band including Kieran Hebden on electronics. Great to see Reid having so much fun in Dakar’s Just 4 U club. Enjoy!