Great new music on Cosmic Jazz this week: a brilliant new Horo label compilation provided our opener and we featured brand new music from Erik Truffaz and John McLauglin, together with a further track from Gwilym Simcock.
Tonight we also had the ever thoughtful musical choices of Richard Beckton from the Ipswich Jazz Club. We always look forward to Richard’s visits to Cosmic Jazz because we know we’ll be introduced to some great new music. So much great jazz – so little time to share it with you!
- Enrico Pieranunzi – Polychrome
- Erik Truffaz/Sly Johnson Paris Project – Goodbye Tomorrow
- Modern Jazz Quartet – Walkin’ Stomp
- Gene Harris – Misterioso
- Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny – The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
- Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet – Ursula (live)
- Gwilym Simcock Trio – Blues Vignette
- Donald Byrd – Paul’s Pal
- Henry Gray – Gray’s Bounce
- Jo Fooks – Faffin
- John McLaughlin – Special Beings
- Ken Peplowski – Single Petal of a Rose
- Art Blakey – Tell It Like It Is
- Hank Jones – Wind Flower
- Curtis Fuller – Five Spot After Dark
This week’s video clip is a little different: it’s an extract from the Jazz Britannia series aired on BBC4 in 2009 in which Don Rendell and Michael Garrick talk to Gilles Peterson.