More new music this week from Nat Birchall’s latest release, but the promised new compilation of music from Mainstream Records didn’t happen – faulty CD! Next week…
Instead, we had a latin start with the late Francisco Aguabella and the new album from trombonist Conrad Herwig before keeping up the tempo with the Montreux classic Compared to What and a great track from Finland’s Jimi Tenor and his West African band Kabu Kabu.
We closed the show with most of Spanish Key, a track from the seminal album Bitches Brew. We’ll be featuring more music from this jazz masterpiece in upcoming shows and we’ll soon be posting a special feature on the album here on Cosmic Jazz. Check it out.
- Francisco Aguabella – Asi Son Bronco
- Conrad Herwig – Footprints
- Lee Morgan – Sonic Boom (pt 1)
- Nat Birchall – Becoming
- Lee Morgan – Sonic Boom (pt 2)
- Steve Reid – Daxaar
- Les McCann and Eddie Harris – Compared to What
- Jimi Tenor and Kabu Kabu – Grind!
- Donald Byrd – The Emperor
- The African Pioneers – Nonto Sangoma
- Miles Davis – Spanish Key
- Sahib Shihab – Om Mani Padme Hum
The video clip this week had to feature Miles Davis and Bitches Brew and so we’ve chosen an extract from the DVD Electric Miles: Another Kind of Blue which centres around Davis’ performance at the 1970 Isle of White Festival. The programme features interviews with many key musicians (including Miles) and some rare video footage. This extract is the second of 7 sections on Youtube. The complete DVD is still available from retailers. Enjoy!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvoYTr4DjI&feature=related