Welcome to Cosmic Jazz – going out live! Tonight was a mix of the rare, way out and truly cosmic – more music from around the globe that was chosen to thrill and chill you in equal measure. There were tracks from the outer edges of the jazz world, but we continued our playing of the Miles Davis classic album Bitches Brew with an outtake that didn’t make it onto the original release.
We mixed tracks and played some edited versions to cram in as much great music as we could. Technical gremins tonight very briefly silenced the music – but treat those brief silences as extracts from John Cage’s seminal 4.33 and you’ll be fine… Enjoy!
- DJ Shadow – Best Foot Forward/Building Steam with a Grain of Salt (alternative versions)
- Terri Lynne Carrington – Jazz Is
- Santana – Every Step of the Way
- Bahia Black – Follow Me
- Fela Ransome Kuti and Africa 70 – Ginger Baker and Tony Allen Drum Solo
- Christian Prommer’s Drumlesson – Can You Feel It
- Albert Ayler – In Heart Only (live)
- Lew Tabackin Trio – The Best Thing for You
- Charlie Parker – Bongo Bop
- Sun Ra – Disco 3000
- John Zorn – Giu la Testa! (Duck, You Sucker!)
- The Cinematic Orchestra – All That You Give
- Miles Davis – Feio
- Bill Dixon with Exploding Star Orchestra – Entrances/Two
- Duke Ellington – Sunset and the Mockingbird
- Piero Umilliani – Caravan
- Ken Nordine – Blue
- Winston Mankunku Ngozi – Yakhal’ Inkomo
- Vassilis Tsabroupoulos – Mystic
- Don Byron – Belmondo’s Lip (DJ Spooky remix)
Tonight’s videoclips (yes, two!) are also suitably leftfield. The first is from jazzpoet and voiceover supremo Ken Nordine while the second is Sun Ra’s version of Pink Elephants on Parade, synched to original footage from the Dumbo soundtrack.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFCzZ7tQwM
Well – you were warned!
Normal service resumes next week as we feature a look at great contemporary jazz piano trios including Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett and Brad Mehldau. We’ll also bring the art of the piano trio right up to date with some of our feted new artists – Kit Downes, Jasper Hoiby and others.