Drums featured on tonight’s Cosmic Jazz – kicking off with the late Billy Higgins accompanying the great Charles Lloyd and then focusing on Kaspar Rast (from Swiss keyboard player Nik Bartsch’s Ronin band) and Francisco Mora Catlett. Later we showcased Roy Haynes (this time with Chick Corea) and then a trio of greats – Paul Motian, Tony Allen and Art Blakey.
- Charles Lloyd – Hyperion with Higgins
- Betty Carter – Gone with the Wind
- Nik Bartsch’s Ronin – Modul 46
- EST – Seven Days of Falling
- Francisco Mora Catlett – Sister Harriet (the spirit and the conductor)
- Gil Scott-Heron – Pieces of a Man
- Chick Corea – Hittin’ It/John Coltrane – Saturn
- Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet – Prayer
- Ernie Watts Quartet – Spirit Song
- Clara Moreno – Deixa a Nega Gingar
- Paul Motian – Ch’i Energy/Tony Allen – Losun
- Art Blakey – Anthenagin
Cosmic Jazz video this week has to be master drummer Roy Haynes – born in 1925 – who just keeps on going. This interview is from the DVD that accompanies the box set A Life in Time (2007). The sharpest dresser in jazz next to Miles Davis, Haynes still delivers in his aptly named Fountain of Youth band.