On this week’s show we played some of the most beautiful tunes in jazz. Thanks to Downbeat‘s album of the year winner, Vijay Iyer, we featured Yusef Lateef’s influential version of the Love Theme from Spartacus and worldB3’s Derek gave us John Coltrane’s Naima and Ellington’s Fleurette Africaine.
What stops you in your tracks? My leftfield vote went to Desireless from Don Cherry’s Relativity Suite – 01.25 of perfection, featuring alto player Carlos Ward. Relativity Suite isn’t available on CD but you might be able to find a copy on vinyl.
So what would be on your list? Let us know via the Comments facility.
- EST – Seven Days of Falling
- John Coltrane – Naima
- Alberto Favero – Tercer Movimiento from Suite Trane
- Don Cherry – Desireless
- Lee Morgan – Once in My Lifetime
- Wayne Shorter – Joanna’s Theme
- Frank Morgan – Lullaby
- Mark Isham – In a Silent Way/Milestones
- Mike Westbrook – Metropolis IX
- Duke Ellington – Fleurette Africaine
- Erik Truffaz – Siegfried
- Yusef Lateef – Love Theme from Spartacus
- Pharoah Sanders – After the Rain
- Keith Jarrett – My Song
- Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet – Dusk Fire
- Beach Boys/Charles Lloyd – Caroline, No
On video this week it has to be Yusef Lateef. Here he is – just two years ago at the age of 87 – giving it his all in a concert in Russia. Would that there were more…