This week’s programme was enlivened and enriched by the visit of Pete who, despite the hostile weather, came all the way from Hertfordshire to share records with Derek. The programme began with a tribute to Harry Whitaker the pianist and creator of the Black Renaissance project who died recently. There will be more next week.
Pete’s selections are always interesting and I was left with the difficult task of making a response. Pete chose three records that featured vibes players: Bobby Hutcherson with his own group, Bill le Sage (someone I saw many times at the Bull’s Head in Barnes Bridge) on the Ronnie Ross track and Orphy Robinson who is featured on Jazz Jamaica. As in previous visits, Pete continued his campaign to have ska musicians recognised for their jazz skills. This time the evidence came from Don Drummond on Thoroughfare.
- Black Renaissance – Magic Ritual
- Steve Reid – Lions of Judah
- Andrea Pozza Trio – Nebulosa
- Bobby Hutcherson – Black Heroes
- Train Up – What is Wrong with Grooving
- Chico Hamilton – Strut
- Joe Henderson – Foregone Conclusion
- Ronnie Ross – Cleopatra’s Needle
- Colin Steele – Variation on a Dream
- Jazz Jamaica – Footprints
- Dee Dee Bridgewater – Soulville
- Don Drummond – Thoroughfare
- Rusty Bryant – Wildfire
- Dave Brubeck – Unsquare Dance