Welcome to another week of inspirational music. More from Jason Moran’s poll-winning 10, great Sun Ra from the reissued Heliocentric Worlds and – to celebrate the the newly announced concert double bill of Wayne Shorter with Phronesis in October – tracks from both artists.
Also on the show tonight – new Japanese jazz thanks to Jacob, our man in Tokyo (spiritually, anyway), a bunch of Blue Notes, Coltrane on Atlantic along with a Coltrane tribute from LA’s finest – and British flautist Finn Peters in gamelan mode.
What else could it be other than the always eclectic sound of CJ – enjoy!
- Sun Ra – Heliocentric
- Michael White – Fiesta Dominica
- Jason Moran – Big Stuff
- Masa Sextet – The Hard Blues
- Wayne Shorter – Super Nova
- Phronesis – Eight Hours
- Our Cry for Peace feat. The Voice of Dwight Trible and members of Build an Ark – John Coltrane
- Elvin Jones – Pollen
- Hank Mobley – Straight Ahead
- Finn Peters – Butterflies
- Kenny Barron – Mythology
- John Coltrane – Dahomey Dance
- Wynton Marsalis – Doin’ (Y)our Thing
- Jay Dee – Rico Suave Bossa Nova
This week’s video has to be saxophone legend Wayne Shorter, here performing Masquelero with a recent quartet, including the sensational Brian Blades on drums. Apologies for the ‘watery’ sound quality on this one: