New music this week from Joe Lovano and Kurt Elling and some more Matthew Halsall after his highly successful show at The Cut in Halesworth. We’re at No 2 in our 5 x 2 top ten countdown – and a feature about both tracks will appear within the week. Neil chose John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme Pt. 1 Acknowledgement and Derek could equally have chosen John Coltrane but went for a long-established Cosmic Jazz favourite, Carmen Lundy’s You’re Not in Love.
Although it wasn’t planned, the show settled into a deeply spiritual vibe early on – signals included McCoy Tyner and Sun Ra with the first movement of John Coltrane’s immortal A Love Supreme sealing the sound. Impressed with Matt Halsall’s covers of Alice Coltrane’s Journey to Satchidananda and Clifford Jordan’s heartfelt John Coltrane we ended the show with these tracks.
In between were Nat Birchall and Bheli Mseluku – see last week’s comments for details of why. If you’ve got some thoughts on the music, use our comments facility below.
- Joe Lovano – Passport
- Gregory Porter – Magic Cup
- McCoy Tyner – Mes Trois Fils
- Kurt Elling – Matte Kudasai
- Sun Ra – Where Pathways Meet
- Sean Hutchinson’s Still Life – Treat Me Like Train Tracks
- Carmen Lundy – You’re Not in Love
- John Coltrane – A Love Supreme (Acknowledgement)
- Matthew Halsall – Colour Yes
- Nat Birchall – Open Up the Gates
- Bheki Mseleku – Celebration
- Pharoah Sanders – Black Unity
- Clifford Jordan Quartet – John Coltrane