It is now a Cosmic Jazz tradition that at New Year we have a party – a jazz party that is. As a CJ contribution to the revelries, we play music touched by jazz that you can dance to. There may be those who do not believe that modern jazz is for dancers, but if so, CJ is out to prove that jazzers do funky too. It is true that to get things swinging we stretch the boundaries a bit, but the common thread of all that we play is jazz.
Tonight’s party began on a gentle Brazilian tip but quickly criss-crossed the planet from Japan to Nigeria to New York. Bonafide jazz was always going to be part of the mix and Camden-style jazz dance was represented by Art Blakey and Miles Davis. One of our live favourites – Joe Henderson’s El Barrio – sounded as good as ever.
Enjoy on Listen Again and feel the groove.
- Baden Powell with Jimmy Pratt – Coisa No.1
- Sleep Walker – Brotherhood
- King Sunny Ade – Ja Funmi
- Fania All Stars – Cocinando
- Ronnie Laws – Listen Here
- Gene Ammons – Blue Ammons
- Sandy Rivera – The Bottle
- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers – Dat Dere
- Christian Prommer’s Drumlesson – Can You Feel It
- Airto Moreira – Tombo in 7/4
- Joe Henderson – El Barrio
- Miles Davis – Dr. Jekyll
- Herbie Mann – Chain of Fools
- Johnny Blas – Skin & Bones
- Weather Report – 125th Street Congress (DJ Logic Remix)
The video clip returns and first up is the late lamented Gil Scott Heron and a live alternate version of I’m New Here:
And as a bonus, here’s more Art Blakey, with John Gilmore on tenor and Lee Morgan on trumpet:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6KJYu8sD6A