This was the last show with Beijing-bound Neil for a few weeks so we started with a trio of indulgent favourites from Robert Glasper, Roy Haynes and Terence Blanchard. We also featured tracks from the new Jazzman release Spiritual Jazz Vol. II which focuses exclusively on European jazz and is dedicated to the memory of British pianist Michael Garrick.
We also featured a very special live version of Impressions from John Coltrane at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1963. This extraordinary 23 minute performance features an extended solo from ‘trane with stand-in drummer Roy Haynes that takes your breath away. Haynes has a lighter, more delicate touch than Elvin Jones’ more propulsive drive – great to compare the two. This version of Impressions was only released in full in 2007. Enjoy!
- Robert Glasper – Maiden Voyage/Everything in Its Right Place
- Roy Haynes – My Heart Belongs to Daddy
- Terence Blanchard – Levees
- Erich Kleinschuster Quintet – Communion
- Tamba 4 – Slick
- Aaron Parks – Nemesis
- Michael Garrick Sextet – Temple Dancer
- John Coltrane – Impressions (live Newport 1963)
- Dusko Goykovic – Bosnia Calling
- Miles Davis – What I Say
Video this week comes from Aaron Parks performing Nemesis live, featuring Mike Moreno on guitar.