Tonight’s Cosmic Jazz was the last solo show from Neil for a while. Next week Derek returns to take the reins, ride the show to victory and present a record tally of gold standard jazz. Tonight, though, we heard new music from one of CJ’s favourite sons, Wadada Leo Smith, in a track from his epic new four CD set. This monumental work- called Ten Freedom Summers – was described by The Wire magazine called it “a monumental evocation of America’s Civil Rights movement” – and the release of this album is a major jazz event.
Other music tonight was as varied as expected on a Cosmic Jazz playlist. Not only did the programme bookend with music from Jamaica (reflecting celebrations of 50 years of independence), but the surprise inclusion of Lord Kitchener signalled that sprinter Usain Bolt had won another gold medal for his country whilst we were on air.
There was more from Keith Jarrett’s stunning 1979 Tokyo concert and some Blue Note brilliance from Chick Corea’s famous ‘Is’ sessions a decade earlier. Still in the tradition, Steve Lehman reinterpreted John Coltrane’s Moment’s Notice while Graham Collier and Mike Taylor Remembered represented great British jazz of the 1960s. Finally, after the sensational Wadada Leo Smith came two mixes – Walt Dickerson and Marcus Miller were unlikely bedfellows in a very different way from Mario Brown and John Surman.
- Cedric ‘Im’ Brooks – Silent Force
- DRC Music – Respect of the Rules
- The Subterraneans (feat. Mardou Fox and Jonsi) – Taurus Woman
- Chick Corea – The Brain
- Keith Jarrett Quartet – New Dance
- Steve Lehman Trio – Moment’s Notice
- Graham Collier – Lullaby for a Lonely Child
- Lord Kitchener – Sweet Jamaica
- Mike Taylor Remembered – Timewind
- Bahia Black – The Seven Powers
- Jackie McLean and Michael Carvin – The Tob
- Wadada Leo Smith – Thurgood Marshall and Brown vs Board of Education: A Dream of Equal Education, 1954
- Walt Dickerson – The Nexus/Marcus Miller – The Blues
- Marion Brown – Bismillahi ‘Rrahmani ‘Rrahim/John Surman – Saltash Bells
- Black Uhuru – Slaughter