Neil is back in China so it was a solo show from Derek. Following Neil’s tribute last week Derek made his acknowledgement of 50 years of Jamaican independence with Val Bennett’s version of the Dave Brubeck classic Take Five.
Derek found on his return to the ICR office a CD from Birmingham-based jazz musician and writer Steve Tromans. There was not time to listen properly in advance, but the title track of the CD Blue Room was given an airing and sounded interesting. There will be more from release this in future shows. The tune fitted well with the spiritual quality of the pieces from Azanyah and Pharoah Sanders – especially with a jet-lagged Derek feeling the need for some calm.
There was still a place for funky jazz from Patrice Rushen, Brazilian-tinged jazz from Azar Lawrence and recent material from the wonderful Esperanza Spalding, the cool Robert Glasper and that much-loved Cosmic Jazz favourite Carmen Lundy.
- Patrice Rushen – Shortie’s Portion
- Azar Lawrence – Novo Ano
- Azanyah – I Will Surely Come Again
- Pharoah Sanders – Thembi
- Steve Tromans/J.J Wheeler – Blue Room
- Sun Ra – Images
- Val Bennett – Take Five (AKA the Russians are Coming)
- Robert Glasper Experiment feat. Erikah Badu – Afro Blue
- Carmen Lundy – Love Thy Neighbor
- Esperanza Spalding feat. Algebra Blessed & Lionel Loueke – Black Gold
- McCoy Tyner – African Village