After two weeks of excellent music brought to the show by guests, this week it’s was a solo show from Derek. There was music from the newly-released Spiritual Jazz 3 on Jazzman Records with tunes by Michel Roques and the Albert Mangelsdorff Quintet. Records in this series appear to be coming at a fast and regular pace – Spiritual Jazz 2 was only released earlier in 2012. To complement the latest record there were contributions from Heikki Sarmanto and The Michael Garrick Sextet from Spiritual Jazz 2. All three compilations in this series come with a very strong recommendation from those of us associated with Cosmic Jazz.
British jazz featured strongly in the programme and I am pleased to provide more details on Ryan Quigley. He is a Scottish trumpeter, a member of the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra and Salsa Celtica. The tune played tonight Laphroag-ian Slip is the title track from his solo album, and maybe refers to what happens after too much of that Islay malt favourite…. Quigley has been described as “world class” by John Fordham, The Guardian jazz critic.
- Michel Roques – Le Temps
- Heikki Sarmanto – Duke and Trane
- Albert Mangelsdorff Quintet – Sakura Waltz
- Michael Garrick Sextet – Temple Dancer
- The Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band – The Wildman
- Pharaoh Sanders – You’ve Got to Have Freedom
- Tenorio Jr – Consolacao
- Lo Borges – Tudo Que Voce Podia Ser
- George Coleman – New Arrival
- Wayne Shorter – Mahjong
- Marcina Arnold – Fore Fathers
- Ryan Quigley – Laphroaig-ian Slip
- Finn Peters – N R Shackleton Goes to the Circus
- Dub Colossus – Guragina