This week’s CJ featured music from Trish Clowes and her Tangent Quartet after Derek saw her engaging performance at the Milestones Jazz Club in Lowestoft. In anticipation of Matthew Halsall’s eagerly awaited new release, Fletcher Moss Park, there was music from his previous album On the Go and there was more British jazz from Pangaea, Mike Westbrook and the Curios trio.
- Soil & ‘Pimp’ Sessions – Waltz for Goddess
- Sleep Walker – Eclipse
- Art Blakey – Alamode
- The Crescendo Quintet – Variations on the Azerbaijan Mugam ‘Chargiakh’
- The Jazz on the Latin Side All-Stars – Mujer Chicana
- Pangaea – Coastal Walk
- Trish Clowes – Atlas
- Trish Clowes Tangent – Coloured Eye
- Matthew Halsall – Music for a Dancing Mind
- Soul Jazz Orchestra – Consecration
- The Mike Westbrook Concert Band – Tension
- Curios – Bradford
This week sees the return of video to the CJ site and more Matthew Halsall seemed an obvious choice. Check out this live version of Colour Yes, the title track from his second Gondwana release and a CJ favourite. Soprano sax is, of course, by long time associate Nat Birchall. And Halsall doesn’t even make an appearance until three minutes into the track. This is a beautifully measured, understated performance and we can’t wait to hear the new album.