Cosmic Jazz hopes to welcome back many of our international listeners this week as Listen Again should return. This will be a chance to replay for a wider audience some of the new music that the show has gathered over the last few weeks.
Tonight’s show featured a track from the final EST (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) release, simply called 301 after the Australian studios where the album was recorded. Regarded by many as the culmination of the unique EST sound, 301 is likely to feature on many end of year lists as one of the best jazz albums of 2012. Also in the show tonight was a UK trio’s reflection on the influence of EST and a slew of great homegrown talent from Matthew Halsall to more from Larry ‘Stonephace’ Stabbins. The show ended with one of Neil’s top choices of the year, bassist Esperanza Spalding, and a favourite from Derek, vocalist Carmen Lundy.
- Sun Ra – Aiethopia
- Roland Kirk – A Sack Full of Soul
- Erich Kleinschuster Sextet – Communion
- Full Moon Ensemble – Samba Miaou
- EST – Inner City, City Lights
- GoGo Penguin – Seven Sons of Bjorn
- Matthew Halsall – Cherry Blossom
- Trish Clowes – Atlas
- Larry ‘Stonephace’ Stabbins – Soul Train
- Esperanza Spalding – Radio Song
- Carmen Lundy – Dance The Dance
Video this week features Esperanza Spalding’s official video for her hit Radio Song – enjoy!