This week CJ featured two tunes from Spiritual Jazz 4, the growing series of releases on the British Jazzman label which seem to get better and better. The music certainly continued the spiritual, deep and contemplative vibe of the previous week. Spiritual Jazz 4 is indeed highly recommended. I would go so far as to say it is the best in the series so far. It features Americans in Europe: Modal, Esoteric and Progressive Jazz from the European Underground 1968 – 1979 and this week’s show included tunes from Billy Gault and the Bobby Hutcherson-Harold Land Quintet. Other Cosmic Jazz favourites included on the 2CD compilation are Sahib Shihab, Sun Ra, Albert Ayler (with a version of Summertime), Grachan Moncur III, Don Cherry, Lee Konitz and Eric Dolphy. All the tracks were either recorded in Europe or were issued originally on a European label. It was good to see the highly-rated British altoist Peter King appearing with the unlikely combination of Johnny Hawksworth and Hampton Hawes. Hawksworth is a fine British bass player who is also a library music and TV theme tune composer – including Man About the House and the Thames Television ident music! As with the other releases in the series there are extensive liner notes on the music and musicians.
There were also some diversions from our spiritual path, although not to the extent of the club-based, fun-loving approach of the tunes two weeks previously. Dinah Washington’s performance from the celebrated Jazz On A Summer’s Day film and iconic Brazilian singer Astrud Gilberto were chosen as appropriate artists to reflect the summery weather in the UK right now and Jessica Lauren (featuring Jocelyn Brown on vocals) took us up-tempo with a great tune from the self-titled Jessica Lauren album from 2012. Two tracks from this release have been featured several times on CJ previously but we have not featured Happiness Train before. Orchestre Dakar Band was a piece of personal indulgence in Afro-Latin music and included a trumpet solo that sounded great even if it does not quite reach those upper registers.
For the next few weeks the programme will be in the capable hands of Gary – ICR station manager and then Palmer, whose excellent selections need no introduction to Cosmic Jazz listeners. The playlist will not go up as the tunes are played but Neil will ensure that they are up there as soon as possible.
- Full Moon Ensemble – Bamba Miaou from Spiritual Jazz 3
- Billy Gault – Mode For Trane from Spiritual Jazz 4
- Matthew Halsall – Finding My Way from Fletcher Moss Park
- Jessica Lauren feat. Jocelyn Brown – Happiness Train from Jessica Lauren
- Orchestre Dakar Band – Baylien Di Yelwane from AfroLatin Via Dakar
- Dinah Washington – All Of Me from Jazz On A Summer’s Day
- Astrud Gilberto – Once Upon A Summertime from Gitanes Jazz – Stan Getz
- Kairos 4Tet (feat Omar) – Song For The Open Road from Everything We Hold
- Larry ‘Stonephace’ Stabbins – Transcendental Euphoria from Transcendental
- Bobby Hutcherson-Harold Land Quintet – The Creators from Spiritual Jazz 4