Neil notes: Curating CJ this week was Palma – and the show’s already loaded onto Mixcloud. Check it out on the right. Music was the usual eclectic range of jazzy vibes mixed and sequenced with an expert touch by Palma.
K Def kicked off the show with an instrumental reworking of Miilkbone’s (sic) Touching Realness – you can find this as a free download here. Deep jazz made an early entry with a track from Maualwi’s self-titled rare 1970s album and released on Soul Jazz Records a few years back. This was followed by a contemporary Latin twist through Funky Bompa from Belgium. To find out more check out their website here.
In anticipation of the new release from Robert Glasper’s acclaimed Black Radio project came the onlne winner of a remix competition.Tall Black Guy (or Terrell Wallace out of Detroit), who is raising his profile through tracks like this. Catch more of his work here – try the cool remix of Olivier Daysoul’s Promise.
CJ then went onwards into jazz territory with Tom Dice’s rap take on Feelings and Billy Gault’s deep The Time of this World is at Hand. Standout jazz track tonight for me though was the extended slooow take on Stevie
Wonder’s Golden Lady from Abbey Lincoln, featuring tenor player Archie Shepp. Davis made the Disney track Some Day my Prince will Come into a standard, but I think that eponymous track from the album is eclipsed by the wonderful Teo, a tribute to his longstanding producer Teo Macero, and featuring John Coltrane. Pianist Mal Waldron is a Palma favourite and it was great to hear him performing in a trio with Yasuo Arakawa on bass and Takeshi Inomata on drums.
- K-Def – Touching Realness from One Man Band
- Maulawi – Root in 7/4 Plus – from Maulawi
- Funky Bompa – Mesida – single
- NuYorican Soul – Shoshana – from MAW/NuYorican Soul
- Omar – Ordinary Day from The Man
- Robert Glasper Experiment – More Love (Tall Black Guy remix) – online remix competition winner
- Tom Dice – Feelings
- Billy Gault – The Time of This World is at Hand from When Destiny Calls
- Omar – Simplify – from The Man
- The Last Poets – Jazzoetry from Jazzoetry
- Darondo – I Don’t Want to Leave (Tall Black Guy re-edit) – single
- Mood – Info for the Streets from Doom
- Pastor TL Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir – Like a Ship (Without a Sail)
- Abbey Lincoln (feat. Archie Shepp) – Golden Lady from Golden Lady
- Noel Pointer – Phantazia from Phantazia
- Terumasa Hino – Send Me Your Feelings – from City Connection
- Miles Davis – Teo – from Someday My Prince will Come
- Mal Waldron – Japanese Island from Tokyo Bound
Video this week comes from Swedish group Jaga Jazzist and their collaboration with the UK’s Britten Sinfonia. The excellent live album was released earlier this year.- this is the track One Armed Bandit.