Neil has returned to China after some excellent contributions during the last few weeks. Derek picked up on Neil’s Latin Jazz set a few weeks ago and had one of his own. This included two tunes from Cubop compilations on the excellent Ubiquity label from San Francisco and a Brazilian track from Celia Vaz and production/remix team APE from the Brazilian Love Affair series.These can be tracked down on Joe Davis’s UK-based Far Out label. Far Out Recordings are worth checking by anyone who loves Brazilian music or who wants a starting point to discover Brazilian sounds. Their latest release on 23 September was Sambatek, from Ipswich-born producer Kirk Degiorgio and the label was also responsible for the resurgence of Brazilian supertrio Azymuth. The label is also now re-releasing music from West Africa.
Gregory Porter – the man of the moment in the jazz fraternity – was featured again on this week’s show and there will be tracks from his new Blue Note release Liquid Spirit next week. Cassandra Wilson was played because her Blue Note record Blue Light ‘Til Dawn has been re-released on vinyl.
One of Derek’s favourite records of the moment, Be My Monster Love by the David Murray Infinity Quartet contributed a track and there is still much to play from Spiritual Jazz Volume 4 and When from Grachan Moncur III demonstrated the high quality of this compilation.
For Derek, however, the track of the week was by The Gathering and their Peyote Song III from an album that is intense, spiritual, inventive and yes, cosmic. It was wonderful to buy a copy of this last week via Discogs, especially as the vendor lived a few streets away in Ipswich. The jazz world is full of pleasant surprises, especially so as the Sunday after the show Derek went to nearby Felixstowe to the free admission Jazz East night at the Fludyer Arms Hotel to see an inspiring set from saxophonist Tony Kofi.
- Gregory Porter – 1960 What? (Gerardo Frisina Cuban Soul Mix) from The Hurst Collection 2
- Cassandra Wilson Blue Light ‘Til Dawn from Blue Light ‘Til Dawn
- David Murray Infinity Quartet – Sorrow Song from Be My Monster Love
- Fredrik Kronkvist Sextet – Close Race from Improvised Action
- Marlon Simon – Sandra Malandra from Viva Cubop 2: Dance the Afro-Cuban Way
- Celia Vaz & APE- Nos Aguas Do Rio from Brazilian Love Affair 2
- Johnny Blas – Skin and Bones from Viva Cubop 3: The Essential Latin & Afro-Cuban Collection
- Grachan Moncur III – When from Spiritual Jazz Volume 4
- The Gathering – Peyote Song III from Leimert Park: Roots & Branches of Los Angeles Jazz
Video this week comes from Cassandra Wilson performing a complete 52 minute show in 2007 with David Murray’s Black Saint Quintet in Vienna:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJsky1ZNato