Check the Mixcloud on this page for an interesting selection of music this week, including vocalists well known (and not so well known) to the jazz community.The show kicked off with the lead in track from N’Dambi’s 2CD second release from 2001 – a much under-rated album then and still so now. Despite the ongoing low profile, N’Dambi is among the most stimulating and adventurous voices neosoul/neojazz voices around. Tunin Up and Cosignin may be a bit daunting for some ears, filling a full two hours with its shambling, languorous burn, but it is worth exploring. Cool and off-the-cuff, barefoot and Bohemian but in no way casual, the album is in some ways a soul mate of two contemporary releases – Erykah Badu’s Mama’s Gun and D’Angelo’s Voodoo. All have great bands with assured singers, each able to stretch out the instrumentation and vocalising in a jazz context. What N’Dambi adds is a heritage spirituality in which she absorbs a wide range of influences – most notably Nina Simone, to whom Ode 2 Nina is, of course, dedicated.
- N’Dambi – Ode 2 Nina from Tunin Up & Cosignin
- Rachelle Ferrell – Autumn Leaves from First Instrument
- Gregory Porter – Hey Laura from Liquid Spirit
- Kenny Garrett – Haynes Here from Seeds from the Underground
- Jack de Johnette – Indigo Dreamscapes from Sound Travels
- Donald Byrd – Slow Drag from Slow Drag
- Goran Kajfes – Sarasvati from X.
- Don Cherry and Krzystof Penderecki with the New Eternal Rhythm Orchestra – Humus: the Life Exploring Force from Spiritual Jazz 4
If you enjoyed last week’s Snarky Puppy video check out our first selection this week. More Snarky Puppy from the same live sessions, but this time with N’Dambi – and she definitely sounds like a jazz singer here. For more of the same, but this time with the amazing Lalah Hathaway (daughter of Donny) explore more on YouTube from the same Family Dinner recording sessions with other guest vocalists.
This encouraged me to look for video (any video) of Donny Hathaway singing live. But – try as I might – I came up with nothing. If anyone know any different, please let us know.In the meantime, watch this as a taster – and then go out and listen to one of the greatest singers ever to walk the planet.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cu6nWUhwAU