Click the Mixcloud button beside this post and listen to this week’s show which provides an opportunity to get a feel for two new releases, with three tracks each from Kenny Garrett’s Pushing The World Away and Ralph Alessi’s ECM release Baida. They are very different with Garrett’s album incorporating strong and forceful playing including lively Latin and Caribbean beats and Ralph Alessi – ably assisted by Cosmic Jazz favourite Jason Moran on piano – in more reflective mode.
You can also hear two classic Blue Note tunes a musical fusion piece from Cuba and end with a touch of Sun Ra. Altogether this makes an hour of great music.
- Lou Donaldson – Gravy Train (alternate take) from Gravy Train
- Havana Cultura feat. Danay Suarez Fernandez – Think Twice from Gilles Peterson’s Havana Cultura
- Kenny Dorham – Afrodisia from Afro-Cuban
- Kenny Garrett – Alpha Man from Pushing The World Away
- Kenny Garrett – Rotation from Pushing The World Away
- Kenny Garrett – J’Ouvert (Homage To Sonny Rollins) from Pushing The World Away
- Ralph Alessi – Sanity from Baida
- Ralph Alessi – Maria Lydia from Baida
- Ralph Alessi – Shank from Baida
- Sun Ra – Planet Earth from Space Odyssey
Neil notes: I wanted to acknowledge the very sad news received last night that pianist Stan Tracey has died. As regular listeners will know, Tracey’s Starless and Bible Black is one of my all time favourite jazz pieces. There’s no video available of Tracey (and the great Bobby Wellins) performing this but here’s a taste of Stan the Man playing Triple Celebration from Jools Holland’s Later show in 2009: