Click the Mixcloud button beside this post to hear a show influenced by recent deaths. The show was recorded shortly after news arrived of Nelson Mandela’s death which inspired the Max Roach selection. There were tribute tunes to Chico Hamilton and the great British pianist Stan Tracey, but also recognition of the Congolese artist Tabu Ley Rochereau who died in November, and singing here with African Jazz.
There was also the annual Cosmic Jazz nod to Christmas via Roland Kirk’s We Free Kings and the Nina Simone adaptation of Good King Wenceslas.
- Max Roach – Tears for Johannesburg from We Insist – Freedom Now Suite
- Chico Hamilton – Forest Flower – Sunrise from Two Worlds
- Stan Tracey – Starless & Bible Black from Jazz Suite Under Milk Wood
- Tabu Ley Rochereau & African Jazz – Kelya from The Voice of Lightness
- Roland Kirk – We Free Kings from We Free Kings
- Nina Simone – Little Girl Blue from My Baby Just Cares For Me
- Gregory Porter – Black Nile from Water
- Kenny Garrett – Say A Little Prayer For Me from Pushing The World Away
- Walter Bishop Jr. – Those Who Want from Theo Parrish’s Black Jazz Signature