Belatedly, it’s time for Cosmic Jazz’s roundup of the best of 2013, listen here on Mixcloud. Later will be a more detailed post on CJ’s favourites of the year coming up, but here’s the first part of our highlights of the year. We feature nine of the best – a selection of new releases and reissues. Horace Silver’s wonderful Gods of the Yoruba track comes from a 2013 Japanese only reissue of one of Silver’s last releases and features a blistering tenor sax solo from Larry Schneider.
By the way, there’s an odd one out in this week’s list – Max Rocci’s Greenleaf Street is actually from an excellent 2011 compilation release but it just snuck in… There will be more great new music in next week’s show.
- Derrick Hodge – Live Today (feat. Common) from Live Today
- Charles Lloyd and Jason Moran – God Only Knows from Hagar’s Song
- Mark de Clive Lowe and the Rotterdam Jazz Orchestra – Money (Don’t Let It Catch Ya) from Take the Space Train
- Dave Holland’s Prism – The Empty Chair (for Clare) from Prism
- Kenny Garrett – Chucho’s Mambo from Pushing the World Away
- Goran Kajfes Subtropic Arkestra – Okwukwe Na Nchekwube from The Reason Why Vol. 1
- Max Rocci – Greenleaf Street from Italo Funk Experience
- Mahavishnu Orchestra – One Word (live) from Complete Columbia Albums Collection
- Horace Silver – Gods of the Yoruba from Silver ‘n’ Percussion