This programme features some more of our CJ favourites from 2013. Just click on the Mixcloud link beside this post and enjoy an hour of some of the best jazz from 2013. As on last week’s show a renegade earlier track slipped in: this time, trumpeter Christian Scott’s I Do from his 2012 double CD release opened the show.
It’s an eclectic mix, of course. There are some American jazz greats: Wayne Shorter (the choice of many – including Neil – for No. 1 jazz album of the year), Keith Jarrett and David Murray, the last with interesting vocal contributions, including on this track R & B/soul singer Macy Gray. But there is also jazz from Finland – the experimental jazz ensemble Oddarang who released their third album In Cinema in October 2013 and the Swedish saxophonist Frederik Kronkvist playing with musicians from New York on his excellent 2013 release Brooklyn Playground.
We do like to feature British musicians on Cosmic Jazz, so have a listen to two British releases featured in this show. We included a fresh take on the tune Rivers of Babylon from the album Burn released on the Naim label by the British jazz supergroup Sons of Kemet, led by saxophonist and clarinettist Shabaka Hutchings supported by Oren Marshall, Tom Skinner and Seb Rochford. The album is truly original and draws on influences from jazz, Caribbean and African music. By contrast, British singer Kate Daniels has released her take on some jazz standards on the album Atmospherics out on Loxford Records. Listen carefully to her voice but note also some of the top class British jazz musicians who feature on the album – Alec Dankworth, Winston Clifford, John Etheridge, John Horler and Tony Coe.
- Christian Scott – I Do from Christian Atunde Adjuah
- Ralph Alessi – Throwing Like A Girl from Baida
- David Murray feat. Macy Gray – Be My Monster Love from Be My Monster Love
- Marc Cary Focus Trio – Waltz Betty Waltz from Four Directions
- Keith Jarrett Standards Trio – I Thought About You from Somewhere
- Oddarang – Introducing….. from In Cinema
- Kate Daniels – Beautiful Love from Atmospherics
- Cecile McLorin Salvant – I Didn’t Know What Time It Was from Woman Child
- Sons Of Kemet – Rivers Of Babylon from Burn
- Wayne Shorter – Plaza Real from Without A Net
- Frederik Kronkvist – Open Air from Brooklyn Playground