At last Cosmic Jazz was able to catch up and to commemorate the sad deaths of Yusef Lateef, who has been a Cosmic Jazz favourite from the day we started broadcasting and the British guitarist Ronny Jordan. Both are represented this week by two tunes each. They represent two very different styles of music but are definitely part of the wide musical strands represented on our programme.
It was also a chance, finally, to play something that I had wanted to for a few weeks. This was the deeply conscious and spiritually uplifting piece from the Louis Vega produced Elements of Life feat Ursula Rucker & Oveous Maximus entitled This Is Us. I had to wait for a few words to be edited before it could be played at the time the show goes out on IO Radio, but the powerful impact is still there. Will I play this tune again? I think so.
- John Coltrane – Song of the Underground Railroad from Africa/Brass Sessions
- The Pharaohs – Freedom Road from Kev Beadle presents Private Collection
- Ronny Jordan – Cool and Funky from 12” 45
- Yusef Lateef – Psychicemotus from Psychicemotus
- Yusef Lateef – The Plum Blossom from Eastern Sounds
- Ronny Jordan – So What – Jazz Mix from 12” 45
- Elements of Life feat Ursula Rucker & Oveous Maximus – This Is Us from Eclipse
- AMC Trio feat. Randy Brecker – Travel With Me Babe from One Way Road to my Heart
- David Murray – Ming’s Samba from Ming’s Samba