The show this week features the exciting and diverse music of the Shez Raja Collective from their Soho Live CD which is released on 7 April 2014 on 33 Records. It is released through Proper and so should should be easily available via the specialist/independent outlets that we like to support at Cosmic Jazz as well as the major ones.
A party of us were travelling from London on a recent Saturday and I tuned in to the BBC Radio 3 Jazz Line-Up programme. If I travel at this time I do tune in to the programme but frequently find myself disappointed. That did not happen on this particular week as we all took notice of the session of original, wide-ranging., even danceable music that was played on the show by the Shez Raja Collective.
Shez is a British-Asian bass player who besides running this collective is a much sought after session musician and has toured with top hip-hop artist MC Lyte. On this CD he has an impressive list of guests from the British jazz scene including: Shabaka Hutchings, Soweto Kinch, Gilad Atzmon, Monica Lidke and Jay Phelps. The jazz is infused with a range of sounds from heavy funk to heavenly raga to upbeat carnival grooves and rap from Soweto Kinch.
You can hear three tunes on the show this week, but better still, get the music for yourself. You can catch the band at the live CD launch on 16 – 17 April at the Pizza Express Jazz Club, London and also on 6 June at The Forge Camden then on 31 July at The Hideaway, London.
The programme started with a tune from Soweto Kinch, which seemed appropriate given his link to Shez Raja. I found it impossible to resist a repeat play for Zara McFarlane’s Angie La La from her 2014 album and we continued the exploration of the recently re-released The Loud Minority from Frank Foster. There was a touch of Brazil with Mark Murphy (not from Brazil I know but sounding good) on a German vinyl Nova Ipanema release I have recently revisited and another excellent dancefloor tune from Louis Vega’s Elements of Life.
It was one of the best mixes of music since Cosmic Jazz joined IO Radio. Do not miss it; click that Mixcloud button now!
- Soweto Kinch – The Mission from A Life in the Day of B19: Tales of the Tower Block
- Shez Raja Collective feat Giad Atzman – FNUK from Soho Live
- Shez Raja Collective feat Monika Lidke – Karmic Flow from Soho Live
- Shez Raja Collective feat Soweto kinch & Jay Phelps – Freedom from Soho Live
- Zara McFarlane feat Leron Thomas – Angie La La from If You Knew Her
- Mark Murphy feat. Claudio Roditi – Madalena from Nova Ipanema: a Brazilian Funk Affair
- Elements of Life – Berimbau from Eclipse
- Frank Foster – J.P.’s Thing from The Loud Minority