Listen to this week’s show of contemporary jazz via the Mixcloud button which is either at the side of this blog or further down on your phone.
A show of exciting, contemporary jazz returned to a solo presentation by Derek, with Neil back in Beijing. Neil was not, however, forgotten as tunes he left behind were given an airing.
The Takuya Kuroda version of the Roy Ayers tune Everybody Loves The Sunshine was given a full play this time, unlike a previous slot at the end of the programme when it had to be cut. We also played again the limpid beauty of Ambrose Akinmusire’s trumpet playing on the In a Silent Way-like The Beauty Of Dissolving Portraits.
Two weeks back, I saw Snarky Puppy at The Norfolk & Norwich Festival. They are brilliant live and on that occasion managed to keep a packed hall of dancers – ranging in age from mid-teens to pensioners – on their feet all night. If you get the chance to see them live you must go. On a record I am not sure that their mix of funk, soul, jazz and rock is quite so convincing, but the tune I played with Lalah Hathaway on vocals from their Family Dinner Vol. 1 is amazing. Check out this tune on YouTube here.
The Otis Trio confound any stereotypes of what constitutes Brazilian music that might be emerging so far in these pre-World Cup days. Their new CD 74 Club is released on the UK Far Out label.
Yet again, I returned to examples of the wide range of Scandinavian music available from www.stevesjazzsounds.co.uk Any Cosmic Jazz regular will know that I love anything by Fredrik Kronkvist, and you can see why from the YouTube clips under the playlist below. This week there were further gems from the drummer Matt Jorgensen, and the pianists Stefan Wingfors and Anders Persson, the latter with his band Personkrets Ii-V-I.
- Fredrik Kronkvist – Volcano from The Constant Continuum
- Otis Trio – Otis Naru from 74 Club
- Tukuya Kuroda – Everybody Loves The Sunshine from Rising Son
- Ambrose Akinmusire – The Beauty Of Dissolving Portraits from The Imagined Savior Is far Easier To Paint
- Snarky Puppy feat Lalah Hathaway – Someone from Family Dinner Vol. 1
- Zara McFarlane – Woman In The Olive Groves from If You Knew Her
- Matt Jorgensen + 451 – Power To The People from Another Morning
- Stefan Wingfors – Ganglion from Impermanence
- Personkrets Ii-V-I – Masterpiece from Ten Small Masterpieces